Random Ravelings

Thoughts on knitting, yarn, writing, and life, as the mood strikes me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Monday, February 06, 2006

As Ready As I'm Gonna Get

For the Knittimg Olympics that is (see link on sidebar). Over the weekend, I finished two gauge samples for the gloves. The first in the wonderfully soft Tiur (Dalegarn), a luscious mohair and wool blend. The second in Regia fingering weight sock yarn. Both were in blue and white. Both were tubes of 60 stitches around - not what I'd call little, but large enough to see what I'm doing and count the stitches, and included both stranded patterns used in the gloves: Flying Geese and Salt and Pepper. Both were getting a gauge of around 10-11 stitches per inch.

Now, the pattern calls for 9 stitches per inch. On the other hand, the pattern is also for a men's size, so I figure if I'm getting a bit tighter gauge, the gloves might actually fit me. If not, I'll find someone who can wear them.

The big choice, which yarn? I've decided to go with the Regia sock yarn. I like the way the patterns show up in that yarn better than the Tiur, and I like the feel of the fabric better as well.

So, having decided on a pattern, a yarn and needle sizes, practiced the stitch patterns and two-handed stranded knitting, I don't think there's much more to be done until Friday, when I can officially cast on for this project.

So, in the meantime, I'm working on a pair of socks (Wildfoote Handpaint in dark blues and greens), a hat for a friend going through chemo, and yes, I'm still working on mitten number two (almost up to the hand dereases).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home