Random Ravelings

Thoughts on knitting, yarn, writing, and life, as the mood strikes me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Monday, February 06, 2006

My Dad Went to New Zealand ...

... and brought back yarn!

My father and step-mother just got back from a cruise and vacation to New Zealand. First the five-week cruise, including stops in South America and islands in the South Pacific. Followed by an extended visit to New Zealand.

I admit to dropping broad hints about wool and New Zealand before they left, so the New Zealand yarn wasn't a total surprise. But they also sent me some alpaca yarn they bought in Ecuador, complete with a picture of a rather homely alpaca on the label. The alpaca yarn (actual fiber content not listed) is a tweedy green, quite pretty and soft; it appears to be about sport weight. The New Zealand yarn is Naturally Tussock Aran 10ply, being 85% New Zealand wool and 15% polyester, in off-white with a darker strand plied in. It looks like it will produce a kind of tweedy effect when knitted up.



On the left is the Tussock from New Zealand, on the right is the alpaca from Ecuador. Photographed outside on a cloudy day, hoping to get a better image of the colors.


No ideas yet what I'll knit out of either of these, though there looks to be enough for a sweater, or equivalent out of each of them. I'm just enjoying the idea of having yarn that came from the other side of the planet!

1 Comments:

Blogger Whit said...

Great yarn!!

Hey, I'd love it if you'd join my Olympic Team - Team DPN!!

http://teamdpn.blogspot.com

Link

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home